Camp Kirkwood

Last Wednesday I went to Camp Kirkwood with the whole 6th grade. I got to school that day at 7:45 am and I went to my advisory. Then we all got loaded into the buses. My bus was the smallest, which was good because that meant it was quieter. On the way to the camp we watched a movie called Zookeeper. I thought it was okay. While we were driving, it was super cloudy and it started to rain. Hurricane Idalia was coming. 

When we got there, the friendly counselors greeted us. We all unpacked the bags from the bus, in the rain, which was miserable because my rain jacket was in my bag, and we all went under the pavilion. There the counselors explained who was in what cabin. I was in Cabin 3. We all walked to our cabins and unpacked our bags and set up our beds. After that we all went into the dining hall to eat lunch because all of us were starving. After that we split up and went to the pool. Each of us had to take a swimming test to see if we could swim without a life vest. The test was to see if you could swim across the pool doing free swim, without touching the bottom or stopping. I passed the test, and that meant I could swim freely in the pool. 

There were a lot of fun activities we did in the next day and a half but one that stood out to me was the V-swing. You would climb up a ladder and get attached to a rope by a harness. All of your classmates would pull you up by a rope and you would tell them when to stop. I went all the way to the top. When you got up there, you would pull sharply on a little green rope. When you would pull it, it would drop you and you would swing. It was so fun! It was especially fun because it helped you to get over your fears. 

Some other fun things we did were kanga jump (which was basically a giant trampoline), zip line, and a campfire. At the campfire we made s’mores and sang a song. Over all I think Camp Kirkwood was super fun and I think the future 6th graders will have a lot of fun!

One Reply to “Camp Kirkwood”

1. That sounds so fun! I love how you included all the explanations of what the different activities were!